Wednesday 21 September 2011

The Rastafarian

Parisien Rastafarian to be exact. So let me explain. I spruced up my couchsurfing account recently, and by the next day received a couple of emails from locals offering to take me around town. One of them was this guy called Eric, seemed nice enough, asked if i would like to meet at this area called Bastille--lots of cafes, pubs, restaurants and lots of lights and activity going on there. And in Paris, where there's activity, there are weirdos.

So i didn't know exactly what he looked like, just knew that he was 35, had hosted like a lot (like 100+) people before, had a lot of positive references from them, but also some really bad ones like Girls Beware! So i thought, what the heck why not.

Got to Bastille, gave him a call and a few minutes later this tall, gangly man rode up on a bicycle. He had a full beard, a big, round white rasta hat, looked Jewish, behaved Jamaican but was full French. We shook hands and took a short walk around the area just introducing ourselves etc. All the while I was surprised why no one was staring at such a strange pairing of a tall white Rasta man and a comparatively tinier, amused-looking Indian girl. He suggested going up to his flat so he could make me a vege burger (but of course, he was vegetarian) and at first I said I preferred not to, but he said he hadn't eaten all day and even made a pit-stop at the supermarket to buy bread, tomatoes, lettuce and vege patties, so in the end i was like okay lah what the heck.

So we went up to his flat which was sooo incredibly tiny, and i realised what a simple life he led. Asked him what he did for a living and he said he sold/exchanged old vinyl records (Reggae music, of course). I didn't ask if it was legally or illegally. Couldn't have made much from it seeing how small his place was. Then he spent about 30 minutes slowly frying his vege patties and cheese slices over a small stove and carefully adorning the burgers with precisely sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and potatoes. And we ate for the next 15 minutes, continuing our conversation about countries we've visited, people we've met etc. He said he's never been to Asia, but been to Mali, Somalia and elsewhere in Africa + Morocco+ lots of places in Europe.

Grand finale. The Marijuana. Not me though, just him. Said he was addicted. I guess that was my cue to say i had an early class and leave. Which he took well and walked me back to the metro, shook my hand and asked if we could meet again. I said we'll see. Overall, the guy is what most would call eccentric. Unconventional. doesn't live by the rules, makes up his own and doesn't give a damn what people think of his lifestyle, job, beard.

Told my roomie Jack about him and he was like "daaammn i wanna meet this guy!". Respect.

2 comments:

  1. wow props to you friend! for your guts!! haha but an interesting encounter!! Nice!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicky - oh knickers the things you do haha i wanna see a picture of this chap!

    ReplyDelete